The Psychological Care Centre is the group practice of Clinical Psychologists Verna Connan, Claire Marais, and Orrin Snelgar, Counselling Psychologists Marlé Coertzen and Phillipa Haine, and Industrial Psychologist Associate Elzeth Neethling. The practice is situated in a central, private setting in Grahamstown/Makhanda, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Psychological assessment and treatment is offered to:
- Children (preschoolers and up) and parents
- Young Adults/Students
- Older Adults
Psychological assessment and psychotherapeutic treatment is offered for a wide range of concerns including:
- Children: anxiety, oppositional and defiant behaviour, divorcing parents, starting school, struggling at school, ADHD, anger outbursts, sadness
- Adolescents: anxiety, depression, peer group belonging, relationship and intimacy issues, problematic eating and weight issues, group based Aptitude, Subject Choice, and Tertiary Study and Career assessments, as well as individual Scholastic, Careers and IEB Concession testing
- Young Adults/Students: adjustment to university and leaving home, depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, study stress, alcohol and substance abuse, eating disorders
- Adults: depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, work stress, bereavement, post-traumatic stress, phase of life changes, alcohol and substance abuse, eating disorders, weight management problems
- Couples: preparation for marriage, conflict resolution, intimacy difficulties, recovery from infidelity, dealing with divorce, impact of addictions, impact of overworking
Psychological treatment is offered in English and Afrikaans. Treatment ranges from brief and focussed interventions to longer, in-depth work. Treatment in collaboration with Psychiatrists and where necessary hospitalisation is facilitated. Careers testing is offered by Verna Connan and Elzeth Neethling. We support direct electronic claiming from all medical aid schemes.